Monday 11 June 2007

Guiyuan Temple II


Guiyuan Temple is according to the description and plaque's on the walls the most famous monastery in Hubei province. It is also one of the 5 most regarded Buddhist monasteries in China and houses a collection of Buddhist art that is so beautiful I cannot describe it.
Even if that art and the different Buddha's look a bit gaudy at times, it did take my breath away. Unfortunately it is not permitted to take pictures inside the pavillions that the Buddha's are housed in, as it is also a place of daily worship for many people, otherwise I would have taken a pic of everything.
I did however manage to take a few photo's before the caretakers started telling me not to and I admit to taking a few on the sly when nobody was looking. This was not done out of disrespect but out of curiosity and awe at the many wonders I saw there.

The courtyard of the Palace of Skanda.


Hundred's? Thousands? Turtles resting on the giant lotus blossom petals in the pond in front of the palace while others lurk beneath the waters in the pool.






Colourful banners are draped from the eaves of the temple to the carved lions(?) that decorate the walls of the pond.












The glass protecting the Buddha inside the casing also prevented me getting a better picture of it, but the lavish decorations make up for it in some small part.

No comments: